Saturday, January 20, 2007

Working thru the Arguments - orig. 08/21/05

The idea that nothing we can do can make a difference is both deterministic and defeatist. Neither are philosophies to which I subscribe. The idea that our current and future situation is hopeless is just another excuse that allows people to continue to live in a destructive manner. I believe in hope. I believe that it is not too late and that even if it were that we as thinking, empathetic beings have a moral obligation to attempt to correct the errors of our predecessors and contemporaries.

Currently I have a straightforward, unapologetic manner in regards to discussing this issue with people. I have been told, by more than one person, that this is not the most effective way to persuade people to make a change. But until I learn better how to influence people I am merely going to force them to address the issue. The idea being that they will not be able to consume without having to be aware of the issues involved with consumption.

I believe that some of the changes we are talking about will require preplanning on the part of the individuals involved. I can’t supply all the answers. It is each individual's responsibility to brain storm and figure out solutions that allow them to live their own life in a sustainable manner. It is my responsibility to do the same (So far the greatest changes I have made are that I no longer drive or ride in cars or purchase anything other than organic foods).

-----

I went to a party last night specifically to bring up these issues with other people.

I was having a quiet talk with a guy late in the party. He mentioned something about saints. The problem with the idea of saints is that it takes a special or privileged person to achieve this status. My viewpoint is more postmodern in that I believe it is incumbent on all of us to make the changes necessary for the restoration of the ecology. I am just one person in a growing swell of awareness. I am not special. I have just come to realize the scope of the problem and begun to take responsibility for my actions.

I was interested to hear from the guy who was working on his Ph.D. in soil studies. The project he is currently involved in is trying to show that compost can be used to grow crops as efficiently as petrochemical fertilizers. He brought some corn from the project to share. The corn was excellent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home