Saturday, January 13, 2007

Half Measures - orig. 07/24/05

I am feeling kind of sad this morning and it makes me want to buy something. One of the things I am really missing from drinking colas is the sugar so I am having the urge to buy some orange juice (I had some orange juice at my friends house last night and it tasted really good). Maybe I will take a bike ride instead.

Just got back from a bike ride. Sweaty, but feeling better. Ya know the feeling you get when you’re riding your bike and are climbing the first hill of the day? That burning in your thighs. I like to say to myself, “Good morning legs.” I added air to my tires as well which makes riding feel really springy and makes the bike more responsive.

Note: I don’t have an aversion to drinking orange juice. I do have an issue with the relationship between feeling bad and the desire to consume.

-----

I used to buy post-it notes or pick up pads of paper from the local copy shop for taking notes on. I have already have a stack of paper for notes (probably more than I can use) piling up on my desk just from mail and bank machine transactions.

-----

I have felt the recycling is like a Band-Aid on an arterial wound. This rationalization allowed me not to go to the extra effort of recycling for a long time. Paul Hawken in The Ecology of Commerce, mentions that recycling may be a dangerous half-measure. His reasoning is that people recycle and feel good about themselves for doing their part, but that’s all they do and it is not nearly enough to stem the tide of ecologic decline. It is important to keep recycling, but we also need to do more.

-----

I just saw a commercial that said, “Reduce, reuse, recycle. Do your part to keep the planet clean.” I think it was a bit understated and misleading. I never really thought about what reduce meant. It’s too simple. I think they should have said something more along the lines of, “Quit consuming you gluttonous... We’re destroying all life and the future of all life on this planet.”

-----

I promised a graphic with today's entry.


I was a little tired today. It’s been kind of a manic week. I would have liked to provide a more upbeat, informative message. I did encourage a couple of people to check out “The Corporation”. I also got some positive feedback on my blog and permission to quote from a friend’s emails. She has some good ideas that I hadn’t occurred to me. More tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home