Saturday, January 20, 2007

More on the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge - orig. 09/16/05

I sent the following email out to a bunch of folks that I thought might be receptive to it:
I just caught a commercial on TV that prompted me to go to the following Web site: http://www.savearcticrefuge.org. Apparently it is not to late to keep the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge from being exploited.

We don't need to exploit the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge at this time and I feel that we should hold onto it in pristine condition for as long as possible.

One can send an email from the site http://www.savearcticrefuge.org that will automatically be forwarded to the appropriate senators and representatives.

I followed the links to the contact information for my senators and representative and sent them through the contact forms on their Web sites the following email which is derived from the one on the Save The Arctic site:

-----

Dear ______,

As your constituent, I urge you to vote against the budget reconciliation package if it allows oil drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.

The harm to wildlife and to our greatest wildlife refuge would be irreparable. We need to save national treasures like the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge for future generations.

Thank you,
Tory Jones

-----

Please, take a minute to research the issue and then follow through with some action.

I know that at least a couple of people have followed through and taken some action. One friend has gone farther than I have and is working on writing every republican in the House and the Senate.

I received the following response from Senator Maria Cantwell:
Dear Mr. Jones,

As the Senate continues consideration of the fiscal year 2006 Budget Resolution, I write to update you on an amendment I offered to protect the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge from oil exploration.

As you know, a section in the budget resolution currently being debated by the U.S. Senate requires the Senate to authorize oil drilling in the coastal plain of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. Today the amendment that I offered to eliminate this specific language authorizing oil exploration in the Arctic Refuge was brought before the Senate for a vote. I am very disappointed to report to you that my amendment was narrowly defeated by a vote of 49 to 51.

While I believe that our country must work to develop an energy policy that will allow us to reduce our dependence on foreign oil, opening up this treasured wildlife refuge to oil exploration represents a plan that will do very little to address this problem.

As you may know, it would take nearly a decade to produce oil from wells in the Arctic Refuge and thus drilling there would not offer any short-term relief for American families. According to studies conducted by the U.S. Geological Survey there is not enough oil to result in lower prices since the Arctic refuge is estimated to provide only a six-month supply. Lastly, oil drilling in the refuge would not enhance our long-term energy security by significantly decreasing our dependence on foreign oil. In fact, Alaskan oil is not likely to flow into U.S. domestic markets because it is more profitable for oil companies to sell this oil abroad.

It is clear that the oil we could potentially extract from the Arctic does not represent a viable solution to our long term energy needs or a solution to our energy shortages and the consequent high energy prices being felt in the Pacific Northwest. We need to develop programs and provide incentives to increase energy efficiency and maximize conservation. That being said, I am proud that Washington state has been a national leader in promoting its environmental technology industry, and I will continue to do all I can to support our state's efforts.

Make no mistake about it - the fight over drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge is far from over. Fortunately, there are several procedural options available to me to continue our fight when this legislation is considered by the Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources of which I am a member. Although the defeat of my amendment marks a setback in our fight, I remain committed to this cause, and I am prepared to use all available tools at my disposal to protect the Arctic refuge from drilling.

It is critical that we continue working to develop responsible solutions to lessen our nation's dependency on foreign fuels. At the same time, I am working with my colleagues to map a balanced, sustainable solution to our nation's long-term energy needs while establishing an energy policy appropriate for the 21 st century.

Again, I want to thank you for your support.


Sincerely,
Maria Cantwell
United States Senator

I received the following response from Senator Patty Murray:
Dear Mr. Jones:

Thank you for your letter regarding oil exploration in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR). I appreciate knowing your views on this important issue.

As you know, opening ANWR for development has been a contentious issue in Congress for many years. Some in Congress believe that our nation's energy crisis forces us to explore new areas for drilling, including pristine wilderness lands such as ANWR. While I agree that our nation faces a bleak energy situation and we must do all we can to reduce our dependence on foreign oil, I do not believe opening wild lands to development is the solution.

Throughout my Senate service, I have consistently supported legislation that protects ANWR and prohibits future development. Our precious natural resources and wildlife are quickly diminishing, and we must make every effort to halt such destruction. Environmental and wildlife protection has always been one of my highest priorities, and I assure you I will continue to fight for conservation of these resources.

What we do need, however, is to create a sensible new energy policy for the future. The Northeast blackouts of 2003 and our state's own energy crisis illustrate a real need for a new plan. While the presence of fuel-efficient vehicles in the market has increased, our oil imports are higher than ever. We can no longer afford to depend upon oil and gas from some of the world's most volatile regions; instead we must actively seek new domestic sources that reduce the harmful emissions that contribute to global warming.

There are clear alternatives to drilling in ANWR and other wilderness areas to reduce our dependence on foreign sources of petroleum. One way we can reduce our reliance on foreign oil is to increase the fuel economy of our automobiles and light trucks. Fuel efficiency improvements will bring the U.S. far closer to reducing its dependence on foreign oil than drilling in ANWR. Meeting a corporate average fuel economy (CAFE) standard of 39 miles per gallon over the next decade, for example, would save 51 billion barrels of oil over the next 50 years - more than 15 times the likely yield from ANWR over the same period. I have consistently supported legislation to increase our CAFE standards.

Another way we can reduce our need for foreign oil is to expand the use of domestically-produced renewable and alternative fuels. In addition to reducing the demand for oil, increased incentives for investment and research in emerging technologies like fuel cells, solar energy and electric cars would also help create a more sustainable and diverse energy supply.

The Energy Policy Act of 2003, which was debated in the Senate until the end of 2003, sought to address many of these issues. While the final conference report did not contain a provision for drilling in ANWR, it included many other dangerous measures that made the bill unacceptable. With billions in tax incentives for the oil, gas, and coal industries and little encouragement for the development of alternative energy sources, the bill reflected a real lack of any sensible future policy. Thus, I simply could not lend my support to the legislation.

The task before Congress in the next couple of years will be to create a real, responsible energy policy that conveys the message that America is truly committed to protecting the environment, becoming less dependent on foreign oil, and adequately protecting its consumers. We cannot afford to accept any bill that does not appropriately address each of these concerns.

Please know that as the ongoing energy debate ensues, I will continue to advocate for protection of ANWR and other wild areas. The health of our people and our environment depend on us finding a better, more effective solution to the energy crisis.

Once again, thank you for your concern on this important issue. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any further inquiries.

Sincerely,


Patty Murray
United States Senator

Thank goodness for liberals.

As of yet I have only received an automated response from Congressman Doc Hastings.

-----

I wanted to thank CjDisco for his suggestion of using a handkerchief. I have adopted the habit and further reduced my consumption of paper.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home