Saturday, January 20, 2007

Hydrogen Hype - orig. 10/02/05

Don’t fall for the hydrogen hype. Hydrogen vehicles externalize the actual damage done to the environment. According to the show Nova: Science Now I saw on PBS, featuring the guys from Car Talk, it requires more energy to create the hydrogen then is gained by burning the hydrogen. Thus if you drive a hydrogen vehicle you are polluting the environment twice. Once through the combustion of fossil fuels used to create the hydrogen and secondly when you burn the hydrogen itself. Hydrogen is right up there with cold fusion in regards to energy independence.

-----

I was talking with a friend last night who felt that even were we to destroy all life on this planet that it would come back in a different form. It seems to be the ultimate extension of the disposable society. The idea that all life is disposable. I would argue that it is still immoral. Children are replaceable as well, but that doesn’t mean it’s okay to kill children. I would also argue that life might not come back. It took a very special set of circumstances for life to come into existence and we are changing the circumstances by toxifying the environment.

I have yet to hear one argument that convinces me that the western consumptive habits are justifiable.

-----

It’s been so long since I have recorded my thoughts that I have lost track of where I left off, but let’s talk about economists for a second. They might have the most myopic view of all. Economic philosophy does not traditionally take into account anything that cannot be reduced to a number. The greater good, however cannot be defined by an abstract concept like money.

I also like the President’s economic advisor who called corporations legal fictions. They are not legal fictions. They are legal realities.

-----

Corporations right now control the media and coerce the public with a combination of the promise of wealth and inexpensive consumer goods.

Let’s not kid ourselves however, according to, “Corporation Nation” one out of four children in America grow up in poverty. This is going to get worse before it gets better. I recently saw a documentary on Haiti which is a nation with one of the greatest extremes between the wealthy and the poor. The elite, as they call themselves, travel with bodyguards and personal security at all times. This is for fear of being kidnapped and held for ransom. The wealthy in our nation are already doing the same. I believe that many of the elite in our country know what’s coming and are prepared and or preparing to defend themselves from the starving masses.

A friend recently said that all it will take is for Laura Bush to say, “Let them eat cake.”

-----

I believe that I have previously stated that the idea of perpetual growth is preposterous. What I am interested in is a reduced and stable population and a reduced and stable economy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home